Jan 1, 2009

giving of myself

for the past few weeks, since entering a new age as a twenty something, i have been thinking about the ways in which God has been at work in my life. my boss once gave a friend of his some wonderful advice, he said: “look for themes in your life and pursue them”. my life has been adorned with a vast array of occupations such as a farmer, a barista, a server, a receptionist (i throw up a little bit each time i think of that one) unemployed, a photographer, a dairy queen cone maker, a strawberry picker, a landscaper, a volunteer, a traveler, and a learner. yeah, it’s been one intricate adventure that is for certain. but as i reflect on each one of these voyages, there is, believe it or not, a common theme. that is, the giving of myself.

as i grow in who i am the prayer for my life has shaped into one simple request - “lead me to where i may be a blessing to others”. in the book of genesis god gives abram the original blessing over his life.

“i will make you into a great nation and i will bless you; i will make your name great and you will be a blessing. i will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you i will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

God blessed abram so that abram will be a blessing to others. this is the prayer of my heart. when i was a younger follower of Christ, my ambitions were more focused on living an impressive life and being somebody fancy. i chuckle at that now, and must confess there are still facets of my life that are merely cries for somebody to notice me, namely, running and marathons. but far more than anything, God has graciously allured my heart to desire nothing more than to give myself away – for his glory, not my own. don’t get me wrong; i do not live this out perfectly. it’s choppy, clumsy, at times it is even disgustingly self-centered; but God has a way of redirecting my focus to the purpose of my life, of the life of every human, and that is to give ourselves away in love

No comments: