Jan 12, 2009

a few thoughts on psalm 51

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to yoru unfailing love; according to yoru great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin..."

this past week i have been pouring over the 51st psalm. without question, this is the most disarmingly vulnerable of all of david's writings. it is a psalm that vividly exposes the depravity of our crimson stained human nature, while wrapping our anguished souls with a deeply pure cry of repentance.

i can resonate with david's overwhelming and honest lamentations on a painfully naked level. my tongue repeates the words; "Against you, you only, have I sinned" and the lacerations of my heart become a vibrant reality. i saturate in the truth; "A broken and contrite heart O God You will not despise" to inherit the gracious fading of my despair.

No comments: